Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Zoar History

Former Zoar Baptist Chapel
This former chapel is now a 'Chapel of Rest'.
Built in 1854, the lean-to at the side was the caretaker's cottage.
© Copyright lizzie and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
The chapel reputedly cost £60 to build, but David Evans,a deacon and prominent member,
did most of the haulage for free.
The small lean-to 2 room cottage at the side was built by John Morgan
as a caretaker's cottage at a cost of £20.

This sketch of Zoar Chapel Llanteg and the attached cottage was completed by Geoff Scott
for the Llanteg Village Leaflet

In 1935 a porch and entrance gate were erected in memory of the late
Mr and Mrs Griffith Harries and their son Tom Harries,
by the surviving children.
The seat in the porch was made and presented by the late Mr Lewis Thomas, Amroth.

Some pictures of the chapel as it was before its recent renovations
Pathway to the old porch - still looked cheery with its daffodils

The old caretakers cottage joined on to the chapel

View of the chapel

Looking over the old gate at the chapel.  The green area was once just a field -
but has now been converted into a carpark

Old gates and signs at Zoar Chapel

Interior of the caretaker's cottage, Zoar
The black high-up doorway on the left is the one
that goes up steep steps into the chapel interior

Interior of the caretaker's cottage, Zoar

One of the old grates in Zoar Cottage - December 2004

The steep steps from the caretaker's cottage up into the chapel interior

Interior of Zoar Chapel

Interior of Zoar Chapel

Interior of Zoar Chapel -
showing the double doors that lead out tot he porch area

The rising gallery of seats -
which has the void underneath which was
entered from a small doorway at the back of the chapel